Guten Tag

I’m in Germany.

If that wasn't obvious from the title of the post.


I thought I should clear this before anyone points out the total lack of updates on my blog, or even google plus. Not that anyone really reads these… but still. I’m updating it after one complete year. So, makes sense.

Looks a bit industrial, no?


I hear you asking, “What in the world are you doing in Germany?”
Honest answer.. even I do not know. I mean I have come here to get my training for the professional environment and industrial applications of what I have been studying for the past 3 years, more or less.. but as usual, things rarely do go as you might have planned them to go.

So, I got my confirmation for my training in Aachen back in May 2017. I was supposed to join in by July, but due to the delays in the visa, I actually got here in September. And the time between may and September was… let's just leave it at Eventful. I just wished that once I’m here, things would settle out and it will be okay…

Big mistake. I've been in Aachen for 5 months now. I do not have a SIM card, I do not have an Internet connection of my own. The company or the institute that called me for an internship has been taken over by a different organization and the professor who actually sent me a letter of confirmation was let go 1 month after I joined here.

And if you know anything about Aachen, it's that it's a student city and it's nearly impossible to find a place to stay for longer durations. I mean I had to search for a place to stay urgently for a few days, and every hotel was booked, every AirBnB room was booked and there was basically no place for me to stay. So I ended up staying with one of my coworker's student hostel.

It may sound normal to some people.. actually is normal to a lot of people, but I have to remind you that I have never ever stayed for more than 1 day anywhere else than my home without someone I know accompanying me. Not to mention the terrible social anxiety. And that was in India, where I actually know the language.

I won’t go into too many details here. Sadly not much technical stuff to post, since what I have been working on is not so accessible, and more importantly, I need to write my thesis and reports first. Maybe, after that, I can share in more detail what I did. Maybe, open to be read by all?

I hear you ask again, “What is that you are working on that is not so accessible to people?”

This Monstrosity.

LIT AF

For context, the highest point is almost 8 FEET above the ground



And that is just one of them.


Cute Orange Spherical Object 


Granted, not as intimidating as the white one, but cool nevertheless.

So basically, I’m here getting my hands wet in the world of proper industrial automation and research. The white robot, which is the ABB IRB 7600, can handle objects that weigh up to 340kg! And it moves with a speed of 6 m/sec. If this thing touches you at even ½ of its top speed, you’re gonna go flying across the room. I have different projects that I need to do to learn how the robot works, and then think and work on ways I can improve the handling of those tasks.
I think I’ll let the videos do the talking. Sadly, (and weirdly),  I cannot link my google photos's videos directly into blogger. So I guess you'll have to do with a link. No big deal If you are interested. Doesn't matter if you aren't.

Random Videos of Random robots doing Random stuff

The other robot, Kuka LWR, is small, compact, a bit less dangerous but still super fun. Since it’s meant as a collaborative robot, I can actually move the robot with my hands to different positions instead of manually moving individual axes. Almost feels like a pet. I wish I had one. Doing nothing fancy on this tho. I was supposed to get is working, and I think I have done that. Awaiting further instructions for me and the robot.

Other than that, I got involved in teaching (!) somehow, and I had to explain the basics of the robot in the labs to guest students from both India and Germany. That was freaky and cool at the same time.

The other robot I haven't had a chance to work on, yet. Along with a beautiful view.



As I said, not going into too much technical stuff. That would be an overdose in 1 single post.  But what I can do is, since you are already here, is share some reasonably decent pictures I captured in Europe. Haven’t traveled much, but better than just a text post and random robots screwing around. I must say, Germany is a beautiful country, and everyone I’ve met and interacted with here, make it all the more special. THEY ARE ALL SO NICE! IT IS FANTASTIC!



Student Towers in Aachen

Love how many people use cycles here

Right in the postcards

Open Resturant(s)

3-Border-Point

First closeup that I am happy about

Drag Race in Brussels?

Definitely not Indian

:|

The best Christmas Market I've been to

Bruh-sells


First Snow Experience


Geminids, maybe?


Rhine coast

French Tram







Badenweiler




Schauinslandbahn Freiburg






I actually started writing this sometime back in the Mid-November. This post has gone through many changes since then. And I also got the chance to attend the "Rosenmontagsguz" or the Rose Monday Carnival in Aachen. I was not sure what I was expecting, but it successfully managed to completely blow me away.
Chilled out Life

The small parade of Richterich

Baloooooooons

Don't worry, I'm not taking your picture

One of my favorite photos of the carnival

Shootout with thy neighbor

When you want to party, but have a duty

The woman in pink

Just imagine the candies thrown out by 150+ of such groups over a distance of 6 kilometers

Another fav


This is why I like Germany


10/10 will follow this pied piper

Polizei
Anyhow, I hope you like the random photos from Aachen, Brussels, Strasbourg, and Freiburg. Feel free to reshare them! As always, feedback is much appreciated.

Let's see what happens next. Most definitely not a new post here. Or maybe...

Comments

Most viewed posts

Jewel of the Summertime - (2022 edition)

Dead Wishes of The Optimist

Servomotor Serendipity - Teil Zwei